About Personal Alarm Keychains
Personal safety alarms are portable electronic devices that emit loud attention-grabbing sounds, sirens, or alerts that help scare away predators or attract attention from bystanders.
Personal Safety Alarm Origins
Personal Safety Alarms originated in the early 1980s and developed by a Japanese company called C.P.S. (Crime Prevention System). Their first personal safety alarm was designed as a small plastic box with a loop or handle for easy carrying, and were brightly colored in red or yellow for identifying them in an emergency.
Today personal alarms have evolved to be smaller, more lightweight, fashionable, and more effective and have come a long way from their humble beginnings.
Personal Safety Alarm Pros
Personal safety alarms are a very popular and useful self defense product for women for many reasons such as:
- Non-lethal so you can use them without risking serious injury to the aggressor and possible legal consequences
- Accessible to people of all ages since they don't require strength, skill, or training to use
- Easy to use by simply pushing a button, pulling a cord, or even shaking the device to unleash the blaring 120-130 dB alarm
- Affordable generally starting at around $5-10 dollars
- Practical and convenient due to their small size and light weight
- Discreet and designed as fashionable keychains to blend in with your other accessories
- Effective at deterring aggressors and can alert people nearby even when you cannot verbally call for help
- Versatile and multi-functional with additional features such as GPS tracking, panic buttons, pepper spray, or flashlights.
Personal Safety Alarm Cons
While safety alarms have many advantages and should be part of every person's self defense arsenal, there are some cons such as:
- False Alarms: Personal safety alarms can be triggered accidentally, such as by bumping into something or someone, or dropping the device. This can lead to unnecessary panic or attention, and may also desensitize people to the sound of the alarm over time.
- Limited Range: Personal alarms typically have a limited range, meaning that they may not be effective in large or noisy environments, or if there is no one in the general vicinity like on a running trail. This can be especially problematic if the victim is unable to move or call for help.
- Limited Effectiveness: As a non-contact self defense product, safety alarm keychains can be a useful deterrent in some situations, they may not be effective against determined attackers or in situations where the attacker is armed.
- Dependence: Relying solely on a personal alarm keychain for protection can create a false sense of security and may discourage individuals from taking other necessary precautions, such as avoiding dangerous situations or purchasing and arming themselves with other self defense weapons.
- Battery Life: Personal safety alarms are battery-operated, which means that they may not be effective if the battery is low or dead.
How Does a Safety Alarm Keychain Work?
Personal alarms typically work in one of two ways: either by pulling a pin or rod, or pressing a button. Some alarm keychains may work by shaking the device or by voice command.
On standard models when the pin is pulled or the button is pressed, the circuit in the alarm is completed, causing an electrical current to flow through a piezoelectric crystal or a speaker. This produces a high-pitched sound usually around 120 decibels that is equivalent to the sound of a chainsaw or a jackhammer and is loud enough to be heard from a distance of several hundred feet.
How is a Personal Alarm Powered or Charged?
All alarm keychains are powered by electricity which is obtained either from an external battery or an internal battery that is USB rechargeable. Rechargeable personal alarms are slightly more expensive due to the advanced technology used, however over time the cost will even out from saving money on purchasing batteries. Alarms that are powered by batteries can typically last upwards of several months or even years, while alarms that are USB-chargeable have slightly shorter battery life spans.
Who Can Buy Personal Safety Alarms?
Personal safety alarms are generally available for purchase by anyone, regardless of age or gender. They are particularly popular among women, joggers, hikers, parents, students, and travelers, who may be at higher risk of being targeted by attackers or becoming lost or stranded in unfamiliar places.
Personal safety alarms can be purchased from a variety of sources, including online retailers, brick-and-mortar stores, specialized safety and security companies, sporting good stores, department stores, and self defense schools.
Personal Alarm Types
There are many different types of personal alarms on the market today coming in various shapes, sizes, colors, and functions. Here are some of the personal alarms sold on SDK Store:
- Mini Egg 130-dB Personal Alarm
- These oval-shaped mini egg personal alarms may look soft-boiled but they pack a loud punch when activated. Pull the side lever to sound the siren and emit a 130-dB alert to keep you safe and sound.
- Mini Lemon 130-dB Personal Alarm
- The Mini Lemon alarm is one of our newest additions and is compact and cute resembling the tangy citrus fruit. Armed with an activation button, this alarm is perfect for small purses and minimalist keychains.
- Mini SOS 130-dB Personal Alarm
- Save our ship is what close bystanders will be thinking when you activate the alert button on the SOS personal alarm. Backed by an alert comprising a loud 130-dB siren and a LED matte-diffused light that is perfect for deterring trouble.
- Ladybug 130-dB Personal Alarm
- Locket Personal Alarm + LED Light Personal Alarm
- Amulet Personal Alarm + LED Light Personal Alarm
- Pendant Personal Alarm + LED Light Personal Alarm
Fashion and Personal Alarm Keychains
Modern personal safety alarms are stylish and fashionable with chic designs and an array of pastel and bright colors. As their main demographic is women, the implementation of aesthetic components makes them more desirable and hence more practical for females to carry them around. They can come in bright colors such as pink, green, orange, or white, as well as decorative designs such as floral prints, geometric shapes, or animal patterns.
How to Maintain and Care for a Personal Alarm
Maintaining and caring for a personal alarm is important to ensure that it functions properly and is ready to use in an emergency. Here are some easy tips on how to maintain and care for a personal alarm:
- Regularly check the battery: Personal alarms typically use small batteries that need to be replaced periodically. Check the battery regularly and replace it as needed to ensure that the alarm is functioning properly.
- Recharge the alarm regularly: If your alarm has a battery meter, always check it and recharge it once your battery life decreases past 25% just to be on the safe side. If you alarm doesn't have a gauge, recharge it on a set schedule like once per month to ensure it's fully charged.
- Test the alarm: Regularly test the alarm to make sure that it is loud and functioning properly. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for testing the alarm.
- Keep it clean: Keep the personal alarm clean by wiping it down with a damp cloth as needed. Avoid getting water or other liquids inside the alarm.
- Store it properly: Store the personal alarm in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or humidity.
- Follow manufacturer instructions: Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for using and caring for the personal alarm. This may include information on cleaning, battery replacement, and other maintenance tasks.
- Replace as needed: If the personal alarm shows signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or other damage, replace it immediately. A damaged personal alarm may not function properly in an emergency situation.
The Future of Safety Alarm Keychains
The future of alarm keychains is infinite as it's one of the only self defense products founded in technology, and new innovations in tech tend to make products smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
We will see integration with smart devices and phones so that all components of the smart system can seamlessly work together to track the user and send distress signals. We will also see the implementation of A.I. (artificial intelligence) that can automatically detect and respond to potential threats such as aggressive movements or unusual behavior. As always, we should see improved battery life and durability so that users don't have to worry about their personal alarm dying on them in an emergency.
The future is bright for personal alarm keychains and one day we might be armed with safety alarms the size of quarters that can detect predators without our knowledge and emit high pitched sounds automatically.
Check out our curated selection of high-quality affordable personal alarm keychains to provide you with peace of mind and help keep you safe in potentially dangerous situations.
- Everything You Need To Know About How To Use A Personal Alarm: Guide to Personal Alarms