Kubaton keychains are handheld self defense tools that are compact, easy-to-use, versatile, legal, and non-lethal, and can help you stay safe and protect yourself in a variety of situations.
Kubatons were originally developed in the late 1960s by Grandmaster Soke Takayuki Kubota, a Japanese martial arts expert, who created them as a self-defense tool for law enforcement officers in response to the rising number of attacks on police officers in Japan.
Kubota created Kubatons as a self-defense tool that was easy to use, less-lethal, and effective in close-range combat situations. He drew upon his extensive knowledge of martial arts and weapon techniques to design the Kubaton, a small cylindrical device that could be used to strike or apply pressure to pressure points on an attacker's body. While initially designed to be used by police officers, the Kubaton quickly gained popularity among civilians as well.
Kubaton Sizes and Materials
Traditional Kubatons are normally 5 to 7 inches in length, 1/2 inch in diameter, and contain round grooves or textured grip along the shaft for handling and stability. Modern Kubatons however can be longer and bigger, extending to 9 or 10 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter to accommodate additional uses and features.
The majority of Kubatons are made from metal, but some can be made from hard ABS plastic or a thick silicone/rubber material, for a less-lethal self-defense use.
Traditional Kubatons are equipped with striking features such as sharp tips, jagged ridges, or protruding points. Modern Kubatons may have these striking properties along with other features such as flashlights, whistles, hidden knives, tooling capabilities or writing abilities. The modern day Kubaton is simply a multi-functional compact device that can assist you in a variety of scenarios.
There are many different types of Kubatons such as:
- Pastel Pointed Kubatons
- Highlighted by beautiful pastel colors for stylish everyday wear, and sharp durable metal points for effective self-defense.
- Polished Pointed Kubatons
Adorning traditional rainbow colors for discreet carry, and precise pointed tips for powerful protection.
- Original Kubotans
- The Original Kubotan, named after its inventor Takayuki Kubota is known for its versatility and use not only in striking but joint locks, holds, and pressure point application - in a variety of fashionable base colors.
- Kubatons with Side Spikes
- Bolstered by 2 additional striking points, which also provider greater grip, handling, and control in self-defense situations.
- Plastic Stinger Kubatons
- Undetected by metal detectors and generally permissive in most jurisdictions for discrete and 24/7 protection.
- Dual-Configuration Kubatons
- Offers two orientations comprising a normal long-form Kubaton and a compact T-shaped Kubaton.
- Kubaton Pens
- Multi-functional tools used for literary and defensive purposes, with some adding features such as flashlights, whistles, screwdrivers, and glass breakers. Options from Smooth Grip Kubaton Pens, Textured Grip Kubaton Pens, Kubaton Pens with Whistles, and Kubaton Pens with Flashlights.
- Kubatons with Hidden Knives
- Traditional Kubaton with the added functionality of a hidden enclosed knife for cutting, survival, everyday, and self-defense purposes.
Kubaton Self Defense Uses
Kubotons can be used for striking, joint manipulation, pressure point attacks, blocking offenses from the predator, controlling an aggressor's movements, and breaking car glass in an emergency. It can also be used as a weapon to strike an attacker's sensitive areas, such as the eyes, throat, or groin, to help you escape from a dangerous situation.
Kubatons can be held in an icepick grip with your thumb covering the back end and used as a hammer strike. Another common use is to hold a Kubaton in a forward grip like a knife for stabbing or fending off. A less common technique is to hold the Kubaton in the center of the stick and use it to strengthen your punches. Lastly, a Kubaton can be swung from a keychain to create a longer flexible weapon that can fight off an attacker from a distance.
Kubatons are one of the best and most popular self defense keychains because they offer so many advantages that make them universally appealing to everyone such as:
- Easy to carry: small, lightweight, and compact, making them easy to carry in a pocket, purse, or on a keychain
- Versatile: can be used for a variety of self-defense techniques and in a variety of dangerous situations providing users with a range of options to defend themselves
- Non-lethal: Unlike guns or knives, Kubatons are a non-lethal self-defense weapon, which can help to avoid legal action and minimize the risk of causing serious injury or death
- Easy to use: require minimal training and can be used effectively by people of all ages and abilities
- Durable: Most Kubatons are made of sturdy materials like metal, aluminum, steel, high-impact plastic, or polymer, making them a reliable and long-lasting self-defense option
- Discreet: can be easily concealed in plain sight or in your purse, pocket, or bag making them a discreet and practical self-defense option
- Affordable: relatively inexpensive compared to other self-defense tools like firearms, making them a desirable option for people on a budget.
- Legal: Kubatons are legal to carry in most states and countries, making them a safe and practical choice for self-defense
- Effective: When used correctly, Kubatons allow users to strike vulnerable areas on an attacker's body, create a distraction, or gain control of the situation
- Accessibility: In the event of an attack, a Kubaton can be quickly and easily accessed
- Minimal force required: Due to its design, a Kubaton can deliver a powerful strike with minimal force, making it useful for people of all sizes and strength levels
- Easy to learn: Basic techniques for using a Kubaton can be learned relatively quickly, making it a practical self-defense option for people with limited time or resources for training
While Kubatons have a convincing long list of self defense advantages, as with any product they may not be the best choice for everyone and there are negatives as well such as:
- Limited range: designed for close-range self-defense, which may limit their effectiveness in situations where attackers are farther away and out of reach
- Limited stopping power: While Kubatons can be effective at striking vulnerable areas on an attacker's body, they may not be powerful enough to stop a determined attacker
- Requires physical contact: the user must make physical contact with the attacker, which can be risky in some situations, especially if the attacker is armed
- Ineffective against multiple attackers: Kubatons are primarily designed for use against a single attacker, and may not be less effective against multiple attackers
- Risk of injury: While Kubatons are a non-lethal self-defense option, they can still cause serious injury or harm if not used correctly
- Risk of being used against you: In a close-range self-defense situation, there is a risk that the attacker may be able to disarm you and use the kubaton against you
- Limited psychological effect: While the physical effects of a kubaton strike can be painful, it may not have the same psychological effect on an attacker as a firearm or other more intimidating self-defense tools
- Limited access: In some situations, like if your hands are restrained, you may not be able to access the kubaton to use it effectively
Is it legal to have a Kubaton? In the United States, it is generally legal to have a Kubaton in all 50 states. There are no laws prohibiting the purchase or ownership of Kubatons but they do have some restrictions such as you must be over 18 to purchase and own one. If you decide to fly with a Kubaton, it must be in your checked luggage and cannot be carried on according to the TSA. Here is the TSA's official declaration on Kubatons here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/kubatons
Is a Kubaton legal to carry? Generally it is legal to carry a Kubaton in the United States, as there are no laws prohibiting the ownership or carry status of one. However, if a Kubaton is used in an offensive manner and not in self-defense, just like any other objects it would be classified as a dangerous weapon and the owner could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
The reason why Kubatons are legal in the United States is because of their form. A Kubaton is very similar to many everyday items such as a pen, stick, or any number of handheld writing instruments, cooking utensils, or tools. Therefore, it would be difficult to prohibit an item that is hard to identify, and has the same potential dangerous use of many other regular objects.
*Disclaimer: The information provided in this section and on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only.
While the first Kubatons were black colored and only one shape and size, nowadays Kubatons have customizable fashion and style elements that appeal to every demographic. They come in pastel colors, neon colors, glossy colors, and many different shapes and sizes.
How To Maintain and Clean a Kubaton
Proper maintenance and cleaning of a kubaton can help ensure its longevity and effectiveness. You should clean the Kubaton regularly with soap and water or a disinfectant solution to remove dirt and bacteria that may accumulate over time. After cleaning, always dry it thoroughly to prevent rust or corrosion. Store your Kubaton in a dry and cool place, away from moisture and direct sunlight. You can also store it in a protective case or pouch to prevent scratches or damage.
Regularly inspect your Kubaton for any signs of damage or wear, such as cracks, chips, or rust. Avoid striking hard surfaces with the kubaton as this can cause damage or deformation. Avoid using excessive force, as this can damage the kubaton or cause injury to yourself or others.
The Future of Kubatons
In the future, we should expect to see Kubatons continue to play a major role in personal protection. New innovations should include different sizes, new styles, more durable materials, and advanced defensive and striking properties. Additionally, as technology advances, we may start to see the integration of tech and smart devices into Kubatons such as sensors, buttons, and added functionality.
Empower yourself with the confidence and security of a highly effective self-defense tool, by investing in our premium quality Kubatons today!